New + updated
Navigating your finances in college might sound simple, but it’s not always a smooth ride. On a tight budget, figuring out how to pay for school necessities like books, food, supplies, and transportation can be hard. It’s like trying to find your way through campus on the first day of classes without a map!
But don’t worry — some digital solutions can set you on the path to financial freedom, and they’re not as complicated as they sound. We’re talking about budgeting apps for college students. These apps can help you keep your monthly budget in check so you don’t run out of funds too soon. They can also serve as ways to save money so you never find yourself in a financial pickle. Imagine having a safety net for those not-so-fun surprises that always seem to creep up at the most inconvenient moments, like car breakdowns or a malfunctioning laptop.
Incorporating budgeting apps into your routine is like having a superhero cape to tackle financial emergencies! But in a huge crowd of money-saving apps, how do you decide which one can best help you save money as a college student? We’re here to break down the strongest contenders out there to help you find the most appropriate fit for your needs.
Source: Carrot Website
Carrot is a great cost-saving app with many features to offer — think of it as your smart shopping sidekick. It helps you discover the best-budget items so you can save as much as possible.
Carrot’s AI built-in tool enables you to find cheaper products online from your favorite stores like Target or Walmart, so you can cut down spending on all your college must-haves. It’s like having a personal financial advisor right in your pocket!
- Make shopping lists and collections with friends and classmates
- Visually bookmark all of your must-haves until you’re ready to buy
- Save products directly from the store
- Save from the shopping list of another student
- Get discounts, coupons, and special deals from major retailers
- Distribute your lists to others
- Monitor price changes and receive inventory updates
- Use the Deal Hop function to find the best deals on goods
Source: Honey Website
Honey is next on our list. It’s a free browser plugin that automatically searches for the cheapest prices on over 300,000 websites, including Sephora, J.Crew, Amazon and more. So, whether you need textbooks or a laptop repair service, Honey has a wide range of deals to offer.
- Explore budget-friendly items from popular online stores
- Access both products and services
- Grab the latest coupons and promo codes from your favorite stores
- Track price changes with a droplist feature
- Compare Amazon prices with other merchants
Source: Groupon Website
Though it originally launched in 2008 as just a website, Groupon is now also available as a money-saving app that can help you save as much as 70% on purchases. This app can look for discounts and deals both online and in-stores.
The app also features a “deal of the day” section where customers can get discounts on travel, electronics, and more. So whatever your next expense is, there’s always a deal or discount you can explore at Groupon, making it one of the best budgeting apps for college students.
- Products and services with as high as 70% discounts
- Daily deal and discount updates
- Discover diverse products and services from online merchants
- Locate nearby sales and events through ‘Things to do’
- Get cash back or ‘Groupon bucks’ on purchases from select retailers and local eateries
- Search and filter products/services by category, price, or location
Source: Offerup Website
OfferUp is a peer-to-peer marketplace in the form of a smartphone app. The app works similarly to Craigslist by connecting sellers of products (ranging from clothes and electronics to furniture and vehicles) with possible purchasers.
This means that you can not only buy products at cheaper rates but can also sell those spare products you haven’t used for ages to get your hands on some extra cash. What’s more? Users can also rate other users on OfferUp. This rating can assist customers in determining whether the individual they are working with is a legitimate buyer or vendor.
- Browse by category or search for specific items using a keyword
- Message sellers directly with an offer or questions you may have
- Buy from sellers with a confirmed identity for added security
If you’re wondering how to save money as a college student on gas expenses, GasBuddy is the app you need. This helpful tool allows you to find the cheapest gas prices around you by geography, as well as by gasoline type, payment method, and station brand.
Trip costs can be estimated, and neighboring stations can be checked for outages with the help of GasBuddy.
- Locate affordable gas based on location, type, payment, and brand
- Estimate trip costs in advance
- Check neighboring stations for inactivity or outages
- Save up to $0.25 per gallon by signing up for a free debit-style card
- Access GasBack rewards for your next fill-up
What’s college life without shared expenses with friends and classmates? Though these situations can oftentimes cause confusion over who spent what or who owes whom money, Splitwise leaves no room for such debates.
As the last addition to our list of budgeting apps for college students, Splitwise is a money-saving tool that allows you to split expenses with friends, classmates, roommates, and family. This app does everything from tracking shared expenses like rent, groceries, and utility bills to ensuring everyone pays their fair amount — and all without the uncomfortable conversations that can come when someone owes you money.
- Split expenses with others
- Track shared expenses like rent, utility bills, groceries, etc.
- Create and manage group events like vacations or group dinners
- Settle shared event expenses with your group through a well-calculated division of the total expense
Pro: $2.99/monthly ot $29.99/yearly
Find Products, Choose From the Cheapest Options & Create Customized Shopping Lists with Carrot
Every dime counts in the fast-paced world of higher education. Carrot and other money-saving applications are more than simple tools — they’re necessary companions for college students who want to succeed financially.
Using these apps is about more than just saving money; it’s about allowing students to make informed decisions, take opportunities, and genuinely make the most of their academic experience while protecting their financial future.
Carrot: Your Shopping Sidekick to Save More on Your College Must-Haves!
Say goodbye to financial stress and hello to smart shopping with Carrot. Easily find, compare, and explore discount vouchers, get the cheapest product suggestions, and save on high-quality, low-cost products. Carrot allows you to maximize your college experience while lowering your expenses, so give it a try today.
Try it Now!